On Monday 14 January 2019, at meeting room on the 4th floor of the Golden Jubilee Administration and Information Center Building at Kasetsart University, Dr. Chongrak WACHRINRAT, Acting President of Kasetsart University; along with Assistant Professor Dr. Buncha CHINNASRI, Acting Assistant to the President; warmly welcomed 3 executives from the World Vegetable Center (AVRDC), consisting of Dr. Marco WOPEREIS, Director General, the World Vegetable Center based in Taiwan; Dr. Pepijn SCHREINEMACHERS, Lead Scientist Lead Scientist – Impact Evaluation; and Dr. Delphine LARROUSSE, Director, the World Vegetable Center Thailand; on the occasion of visiting Kasetsart University.
Dr. Marco WOPEREIS, Director General, the World Vegetable Center based in Taiwan introduce Mrs. Delphine LARROUSSE to Kasetsart University administrators. Mrs. Delphine LARROUSSE is starting work in the new position as Director of the World Vegetable Center Thailand since 2 January 2019 onwards to continue to strengthen the partnership and cooperation between the World Vegetable Center and Kasetsart University. The cooperation and exchange of agricultural knowledge between the World Vegetable Center and Kasetsart University have a good relationship for a long time.
The following issues were discussed in the meeting; especially Kasetsart University has proposed a plan in 2019 to the AVRDC executives as follows:
- Organizing a bilateral scientific meeting at Kasetsart University between AVRDC scientists from all AVRDC regional centers and KU researchers (probably around mid-year)
- Participation of faculty members, scientists and researchers from KU in the global R&D week to be held 11-15 November 2019 in Shanhua, Taiwan.
- Support of faculty members from KU partner universities to attend “International Vegetable Training Courses or IVTC* (has been organized for at KU for more than 30 years) to increase KU and AVRDC visibility to the public eye.
- Meeting regularly between AVRDC regional director for East and Southeast Asia Regional center with KU administrators
- Meeting between the Vice President for Research at KU or Director of Research and Development Institute (KURDI) to discuss about funding and research collaboration, especially on AVRDC three outcome oriented “flagship programs”: Safe and Sustainable Value Chains, Healthy Diets, and Vegetable Diversity and Improvement.
- Dr. Delphine LARROUSSE will visit the Faculty of Agriculture Kamphaeng Saen Campus on next Tuesday (22 January 2019) to introduce herself and discuss possible collaborations. The next visits of KU facilities will be the Faculty of Natural Resources and Agro-Industry, Sakon Nakhon Province Campus in February 2019, and the Faculty of Agriculture, Bangkok.
- AVRDC include appropriate KU faculty members or researchers in every project.
In this regard, AVRDC executives will further consider these proposals discussed at the meeting.